Buhari rules out bail option for Nnamdi Kanu + other titles



  • Lagos is spending ₦23 billion to upgrade education infrastructure
  • Police reject reports of Boko Haram attack in Ogun
  • FG overturns self-imposed two-year basketball ban
  • Buhari rules out bail option for Nnamdi Kanu
  • Relatives of kidnapped train passengers say they are considering suicide

Across Nigeria’s 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, here are the top five Nigerian news stories you shouldn’t miss:

Lagos is spending ₦23 billion to upgrade education infrastructure

Education Commissioner Folasade Adefisayo said Lagos had spent more than N23.6 billion on building and upgrading critical infrastructure in the education sector over the past three years.

She said, “Over the past three years, we have spent N23.6 billion on our upgraded infrastructure in the education sector. The projects covered approximately 1,036 schools in the state.

The commissioner explained that 1,449 unique projects, or 51%, were completed, including 96,334 two-unit furniture.

The Commissioner also said that ₦1.1 billion has been paid for West African School Certificate Examination (WASCE) students in 2021, and the same will be paid this year.

Police reject reports of Boko Haram attack in Ogun

Three communities – Oba Oko, Oke-Ata and Rounda-Soyoye – in Ogun panicked yesterday after learning that Boko Haram insurgents had invaded them.

Police spokesman Abimbola Oyeyemi said: “The alarmist has gone further by asking schools in these areas to close and send their students home for safety reasons. Having heard the false alarm, the Commissioner of Police, CP Lanre Bankole, quickly deployed officers and command men to the area only to discover that nothing like this is happening anywhere around the places mentioned.

“The command therefore calls on members of the public to steer clear of misinformation as nothing like this is happening anywhere in Ogun, and therefore our people should go about their lawful business without fear of any form of harassment or intimidation.”

FG overturns self-imposed two-year basketball ban

The federal government reversed its earlier decision banning the country’s basketball teams from competing internationally for two years – just six weeks after the ban.

Speaking to reporters in Abuja on Thursday, the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Youth Development and Sports, Ismaila Abubakar, said the intervention of concerned people inside and outside the country, to former Nigerian international basketball players and well-meaning people to seek solutions to the issues leading up to the decision to overturn the previously issued ban.

On May 12, 2022, the Ministry of Youth and Sports announced that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved a two-year ban on international basketball activities following the unending crisis plaguing the Nigerian Basketball Federation– ball (NBBF).

The decision saw Nigeria’s women’s basketball team, D’Tigress, removed from the squad list for the World Cup and replaced by Mali.

Buhari rules out bail option for Nnamdi Kanu

Nnamdi Kanou
Nnamdi Kanou

During a bilateral meeting with British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, on the sidelines of the 26th Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Kigali, Rwanda, President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday ruled out bail for the detained leader of the indigenous people outlaw from Biafra, Nnamdi. Kanu.

He said Kanu, who is now on trial, had every opportunity under the law ‘to justify all the derogatory things said against Nigeria while he was in Britain’.

“He felt very safe in Britain and said horrible things against Nigeria. We finally got him when he left the UK, and sent him to court. Let him defend everything he said there.

Buhari said, “His (Kanu) lawyers have access to him. Remember he skipped bail before, how do we know he won’t do it again if he’s bailed? »

Some relatives of abducted train passengers say they are considering suicide

Relatives and friends of passengers abducted from the Abuja-Kaduna AK-9 train on Thursday pleaded with the federal government to speed up the process of releasing the remaining 50 hostages who had so far spent 87 days with terrorists.

Speaking to reporters in Kaduna on Thursday, Dr Abdulfatai Jimoh, who spoke on behalf of other families, said: “Since that dark day of March 28, 2022, only 11 of the abducted citizens have been reunited with their families, leaving behind 50 innocent people. Nigerians at the hands of their captors in horrific living conditions.

“Family members of these hostages are not left out in this harrowing experience with some already in depression with suicidal thoughts. We can’t wait to see the end of this nightmare.

“While we expected that all of the women and children (22 people in total) held hostage would have been released in the first phase of negotiations with the kidnappers, we are happy to receive the 11 people now rescued, but our joy will only be over when all abductees regain their freedom.