‘Stop misleading Nigerians, government failed to release N1b for D’Tigress’ | The Guardian Nigeria News




[ad_1]

Nigerian basketball stakeholders have warned those “peddling unsubstantiated allegations” that the federal government has released naira 1 billion for the senior women’s national team to correct their facts in the country. interest of the game.

Recently, some people have come to town with the allegation that the Nigerian Basketball Federation (NBBF) and the Sports Department have embezzled 1 billion naira released by the federal government for the D’Tigress. They followed the allusion of a former sports minister, Solomon Dalung, who went on the air to claim that the said sum had been released by the government to take care of the activities of the women’s team.

Reacting to the allegation yesterday, a source at the Sports Ministry told the Guardian that the billion naira approved by President Muhammadu Buhari was only for the men’s team, D’Tigers, as requested by the ministry.

The source, who pleaded on anonymity, added that the money is neither missing nor deposited in an escrow account with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), as claimed by Dalung.

He said Dalung was wrong in his facts, adding: “It is very unfortunate that a former sports minister could air on the air to allege hijacking when documents he is waving suggest otherwise.

“Dalung made an N1. 91 billion requests to the President for the men’s basketball team, as stated in a letter of August 20, 2018 he wrote to President Buhari. In the letter, he also referred to the NBBF (reference number NBBF / FMY & S.4 / 2018 / Vol. XIII / 32) dated August 6, 2018 on the subject.

“How he got on the air to claim the money was for D’Tigress, the national women’s basketball team, beats me.”

Also speaking on the matter, a member of the board of directors of the NBBF, who also pleaded anonymity, explained that the federal government has released 1 billion naira of the 1.9 billion naira requested by the government. ministry on August 19, 2019, four months after Dalung stepped down as sports minister and a few days before Sunday, Dare was sworn in to succeed him.

He added, “The money was credited to the Department of Sports department-wide voting for international sporting activities.

“This created a problem for the Sports Ministry because the NBBF was not factored into our 2019 budget. Dare, who took office two days after the money was paid, insisted that the NBBF is to get the lion’s share of the money and in a meeting with the permanent secretary of the sports ministry and the NBBF, 850 million naira was approved for the NBBF, while 150 million naira was approved for the NBBF. naira have been used to pursue other international sporting activities.

“The Ministry of Sports had to write to the Ministry of Finance for the restoration of the billion naira released for international sports activities, which is still pending.”

The source showed the N 850 million cash voucher to The Guardian to prove that the amount was transferred to the NBBF account at the CBN in the same month.

Another document, cited by The Guardian, showed that the audited account acknowledged receipt of another 744 million naira this year from a 2019 claim from N1. 6 billion paid to the Ministry of Sports and signed by the outgoing president of the NBBF, Musa Kida, only for the D’Tigress.

The request was made in a letter dated August 19, 2019 and the audited account showed both income and expenses of the amounts paid into the FBNB account. A former NBBF board member told The Guardian that the sponsorship fee of $ 2.2 million paid by Kwese for the basketball league and another sum paid by Peak was not captured in the audited account because the money was not stored in the NBBF account.

[ad_2]